Friday, June 24, 2011

Research

With any new project, research is key. I have been searching home improvement websites, contacting family, and skimming any home magazine I can find to improve my skills. From what I have found, I can do anything, as long as I have the right attitude, tools, and the right measurements.

When we first looked at this house, we ran practically screaming out the door. In fact, we didn't even step foot inside the door once it was opened. The problem? Not the size, but the stench. After much consideration, we decided on a second look. With hands appropriately clamped to noses, we ventured inside. What we found was a house with a simple design and a gorgeous picture window in the living room. Once we found out the bank was going to pay for paint and new carpet we were sold. This is where the right attitude comes in. We - I - had to get my head around space, or lack there of.

Working with small spaces can feel daunting. The space is small, but the ideas are large. This is a problem I was finding within myself. Many of the ideas I originally had for the house were just not practical. Hence why research is so important. I have started to grasp the small space design scheme.

While waiting on Joe to meet me at one of our favorite restaurants, Laurienzo's, in Mt. Airy, I stepped inside a joining store. An eclectic type store that has trendy items along with antiques. Sitting on a table at the front of the store was a book, "Small Spaces, Maximizing Limited Spaces for Living," by Elizabeth Wilhide.

How perfect! Sometimes websites and magazines just don't have enough information. I think I even gave out an audible "Hell Yeah!" in the store when I saw this book. I was so excited that I found a whole book dedicated to small spaces. I wasn't even looking for that. I was just wasting time :). Who needs more than 942 sqft? Not this couple! Now, I realize if I stepped inside a Barnes and Noble there is probably a whole section dedicated to this subject, but as I said, I wasn't in this store looking for small-space design books, so I felt it was meant to be, and I bought the book without even looking at the price. The smart shopper in me was not around to talk some sense in me. I immediately began reading, which in turn made me late for dinner.

I couldn't wait to get home to really read this sucker. The biggest thing I am taking away form this book is keeping that right attitude, and utilizing the positives of having a small space to decorate. For example, since there is less surface area to cover with flooring or paint, we have a little extra to spend on small details, which really pull a room together. Unlike a website or magazine, this book has helped me look at ever corner as an opportunity instead of frustration. I am now visualizing ways to use that tiny corner as storage! With all this research, I am realizing that some of my original ideas don't need to be tossed out the door, but tweaked.

Research has also shown that not all small spaces have to be white and sterile looking. Color is an option, people! Don't be afraid to go bold, but be careful on how you use it. A wall of a bold color, or a splash of color with a vase or inside a bookcase can go a long way. Also, just because it's white doesn't mean it has to look sterile. In my head, I'm knocking down walls and tearing up new carpet. In reality we're still starting in the bathroom :).

Paint is on the agenda this weekend along with a new fan and light. You've seen the inspiration so let's hope the finished project turns out. We'll be measuring twice and sketching to make sure it fits. Rule #1 of a small space design, know what you're working with!

2 comments:

Mumbles and Grumbles said...

I'm very glad to hear that you have the right attitude! Good luck! I can't wait to see the paint job!

Momof5grlz said...

Good Luck!