Wednesday, June 20, 2012

50 Shades...

Hello, friends! Well, here we are again, summer has officially started, and so has my blogging :). For the past few months I have been thinking about what needs done next. When I came up with everything, I figured I needed to scale back. I decided to start with paint. Unfortunately, this has opened a Pandora's box of more things that need to be done, but that's another blog :).

This is before. Notice Sweets hanging her head in disgust.
After. Sweets loves the new paint. She's holding her head high in pride :)
Before we moved in, the bank decided they would add new carpet and fresh paint. So sweet of them, right??? Wrong! I hate carpet, and the paint chosen was the worst color ever. Not to mention that the bank chose a flat finish. I mean, who does that? Ever had to clean a wall from drool spraying everywhere on a flat finish? It's not pretty.

I was finally able to talk Joe into letting me paint. I was ecstatic when he said yes, and I promptly went out and got samples, and then the next day got paint and got started. I showed Joe two colors and forced him to chose the one I wanted ;p, - a soft gray. Stone Gray to be exact. It is exactly what I have had in my head for months now. I love the final product!

As I normally do, I enlisted the help of family to help me tackle this project. I mean who doesn't like to paint with a friend. Plus, the time goes by quicker and you keep just a little of your sanity when two are painting :). In comes Joe's mom, Sharon, and away we went. When I first started, I was a little concerned that I had chosen the wrong color. It went on sooooooo light. But, as with all paints, it dried to the perfect shade of gray.

I had also decided that I was getting rid of the oak banister we have going upstairs. I hated it. It was so blah. It got a white wash along with the railing leading up the stairs, and I have to say that is honestly my favorite part of our living room now.

Banister before. Boring ol' oak. Yuck!
Banister after. Clean, crisp white :)
I also love how our antiques POP with this new paint. It has inspired me to stain our oak - gag - kitchen cabinets a dark cherry color. Like I said, Pandora's Box. On to the next project, new flooring in the kitchen, new light fixtures, and stain :). I can't wait!!!
Poppin' antiques :)
Notice the doggy key ring holder. I love this little gem. I picked it up in Brooklyn  while visiting my brother. It has been begging to be displayed :).

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Sharon Vassalotti said...

I love it! You did a great job.

Mumbles and Grumbles said...

So funny that you posted this today because I was just going to ask you about it! Your paint job looks great and I definitely like the white banister way better!