Saturday, January 18, 2014

Painting a Dresser-The Easy Way

I figured since I didn't go into too much detail about painting Little Miss' dresser, I would write a little post about it. It was an extremely easy project, and it only took a few hours. Unlike our bedroom dresser, there was no sanding involved, no spray paint, and no hot sunny day :). Since I'm preggers, spray painting is a huge no-no, so to avoid any harm, I chose to paint the dresser the old fashion way. I had originally thought I would need to strip the dresser, sand it, then paint it, but (thanks to the black hole that is Pinterest) I found a much easier way.

Some of you may have heard of Glidden's Gripper Primer and Sealer or Kilz Primer and Sealer paints. They are amazing, and save hours of work. Joe and I made our usual trek to the Walmart to gather supplies. I bought a gallon of Kilz primer and sealer, I am planning on using this on the kitchen cabinets later so I thought I'd save myself the second trip, a small sponge roller, and brushes. We were set to go.

The process was so simple, I just painted the primer directly over top the existing paint on the dresser, waited until it was dry, about 30min, and painted the second coat. The primer covered every stain, filled in small cracks, and gave the dresser a rough finish for the new paint to adhere to. I was pretty impressed. Once the second coat of primer was dry, it was time to add color :). That's it, the whole process. Two coats of primer, two coats of color. For each type of paint, I used the small sponge roller brushes. They help avoid those ugly paint lines you can sometimes get from using a brush. I stuck with the original hardware, as I did with our bedroom dresser, except I did not make any changes to it. The hardware for this dresser was simply too beautiful to mess with. I am very pleased with the outcome of this dresser, and I cannot wait to tackle the kitchen cabinets. I'm told I need to wait on those since there is a little something arriving in March :).

If I find the time, I may add a coat of shellac to give the dresser a more finished look. This is not something I am going to really stress about though. I really enjoy the look that it has right now :).

Unfortunately, due to pregnancy brain, I did a terrible job of taking before and after pictures. I did get a few, so here they are for your viewing pleasure.


Cheers!


Dresser, before. Don't fret, we saved that beautiful mirror :)
Making progress. 
View of that beautiful hardware. 



Done!

No comments: