Friday, April 25, 2014

Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

Newborn babies can't do much on their own- They can't eat or walk or talk on the phone- But every parent is sure their creation is without a doubt a tremendous sensation.


Isn't that the truth! I fell hard for Little Miss as soon as she popped out, and I'm falling harder and harder for her everyday! I've got about 4,000 photos of her on my phone and 3,000 of them are basically the same image in a different outfit. I've started a photo stream with my family that I send daily pics to, and I have to restrain myself from sending a new picture every 30 seconds. She is the smartest, happiest, prettiest baby I know, and I know every new parent feels this way. 

It's been a fast month for us. Which is a big change from the pregnancy that seemed like it would never end. I can't seem to comprehend what happens to my days. They are flying by, and I am trying my hardest to find a way to slow them down. When I do find a way I'll share my secret ;). I figured since it's been a whole month and 4 days with Hazel in our lives I'd share some of the things Joe and I have learned as new parents and how she's doing. 

To be honest the things we've learned is a small list. Not that we are pros, but we are just taking everything in stride and do what this post's title says to do :). She has been a pretty easy baby up to this point, so we have been quite lucky. At her one month check-up the doc asked if I had any questions, and the only one I could think of is when is it OK to get her ear's pierced.

She has been nursing well since day one, and I am so thankful for that. I know a lot of women have trouble. I will say one thing I think that helped is that I did a lot of reading about proper breastfeeding techniques, and made contacts with my local La Leche League consultants before she arrived. In doing so, I feel that it gave me confidence that I could do it, and do it well. I also think it helped me to feel comfortable and relaxed in my choice.  That made all the difference in those first two weeks when Hazel was pretty much attached to my boob. I can totally understand why some women give up so early, or feel like they are not successful breast-feeders because it is very time consuming and a little disheartening feeling like you have no freedom or a moment to yourself. There was a moment in the middle of week two I broke down in tears and just begged her to let me eat just one meal and I would let her nurse all night if she wanted to. I just kept reading my handy book, Breastfeeding Made Simple bNancy Mohrbacher & Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, that reassured me everything Hazel was doing was normal for that time and that it would pass. Once we got passed week 2 she started a nursing rhythm that is still changing. I am still nursing her on demand, but we are slowing figuring out her rhythm and the demand is much more manageable and even more enjoyable. I look forward to that time together, especially when we are out. It gives us time to shut ourselves off from everyone and have our time together.

We've also been lucky with her sleep schedule. She is up about every 4-5 hours during the night, and about every 2.5 to 3 hours during the day. That has almost been true since she entered the world. I tell everyone who asks that I am getting more sleep now than I was the last two months of my pregnancy. I didn't realize how miserable I was during that time until she was out. She is also very easy when we are out and about, and even at her fussiest she is pretty easy to calm.

Joe and I have really been enjoying ourselves with Hazel. Just this morning I asked him what he has learned in this past month and he said how attached he is to Hazel and how fast that happened. I have to say he has been amazing. I have also been lucky in that sense. He was on board with the cloth diapers, he is a huge supporter of breastfeeding, and he has just jumped right in head first to daddy hood. I don't know how people do this on their own and I am thankful everyday that he is so comfortable and helpful with Hazel. Joe has quickly mastered the art of working from home and taking care of baby.

I'm baffled at how fast she is growing. Everyone tells us how little she is, but I can't get over how big she is getting. She's already over 2lbs more than she was when she was born, and 2 inches longer! Every day she does something new that is totally awesome, and I love watching her grow!

Here are a few pics of Hazel's first month!

Cheers!






























No comments: